Visitors

Monday, July 2, 2012

My top three enjoyed wines for June 2012




An interesting lineup of wine tasted this month. I was reminded again that I much prefer Sauvignon Blanc, when it does not include Semillon. For me, I associate Sauvignon Blanc as dry, crisp and refreshing, Semillon adds sweetness and barrel fermentation which I am not a big fan, at least not in my Sauvignon Blanc.

Lately I find myself buying much older vintage wine like Spanish Reserva, Grand Reserva and is my number one wine this month. In my view, many wines are released way to young, newborn, if you will, straight out of the barrel. Wines from Argentina, Australia, Chile and California for example benefit from 2-4 years in the bottle, which allows them to gain
elegance and the oak to integrate with the wines with acquired complexity.

Two wines share the number three spot, I could not decide on only one; both were equally interesting and enjoyable.

My top three enjoyed wine in June;


1-Mitchell McNicol Shiraz 2003, Clare Valley, South Australia, Australia

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/06/mitchell-mcnicol-shiraz-2003-clare.html


What a gorgeous wine here, with my cellar full of wines waiting to mature, to be enjoyed at their best. I am more then willing to spend a little more to experience a fully mature, complex and ready to drink red wine like this Shiraz. I returned to purchase two more.

2-Poplar Grove The Legacy 2006, Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/06/poplar-grove-legacy-2006-okanagan.html


I became a fan of this winery when I moved to British Columbia in 2006, especially their reds, like Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Syrah and my number 2 pick this month, a Bordeaux blend called The Legacy. Now if I can order these wines here in Ontario that would be fantastic.
  

3-Recanati Reserve Single Vineyard Merlot Kp 2007, Galilee, Israel

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/06/recanati-reserve-single-vineyard-merlot.html


If you have been following my blog, you may have realized my love of Merlot. Not just any style of Merlot mind you, I like them dry, smooth and plumy, nicely layered and well balance. Just like this interesting Merlot from Israel, which turned out to be quite a surprise for me. This is another example of wine with some age in a bottle, drinking beautifully right now. Great winemaking here. I returned to purchase more, before they all disappeared.

  Silvio Grasso Barbera D'Alba 2009, Piedmont, Italy

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/06/silvio-grasso-barbera-dalba-2009.html


I am a big fan of Barbera, not all wines need to be sweet. Italians have been making wines to be enjoyed with food for centuries. Like this delicious and really enjoyable Barbera, paired with a pasta dish with tomatoes, shrimp and dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment