Visitors

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My top three enjoyed wines for April 2012



A good variety of wines this month, with 8 different countries, mostly reds with the exception of two whites. Unfortunately the most expensive turned out to be the most disappointing. It has been two to three months since I have had a cork taint or TCA bottle, than 3 in one week including 2 of the same wine on the same night. This particular wine Casa Emma Chianti Classico 2009. Their previous bottles were so good and then these two corked bottles. You wonder how many people would open one of these corked bottles, not knowing of the wine fault. Just on the smell alone, this wine is not likely to impress for sure and unlikely that these people would purchase this wine again. This would be a shame, since the wine in this bottle is not the final product that the winemaker made.

Sometimes when I open a bottle, like this months Pascal Jolivet Sancerre 2010 from la Loire,  France and see that this winery used a very good quality cork, dark colour (older trees), longer than most and very hard, it shows me their attention to detail. A very good Sauvignon Blanc.


My top three enjoyed wine in April;

1-Duckhorn Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Napa Valley, California, USA

This wine left me with such a great impression, such elegance for a young Cabernet, yet well structured and flavourful. Great wine making at play here, there is a lot of attention to detail before achieving such a great wine. I had never tasted Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon before, since this was my first time, I only bought one bottle and tried to locate a few more, but unfortunately they were all sold out. I will be looking for the next vintage.


2-San Guido Le Difese 2009, Igt Toscany, Italy

I always like Italian wines for their ability to pair well at the table. And this wine is a great example of that. The Cabernet Sauvignon offers structure and style while the 30% Sangiovese adds a lot of complexity, acidity and earthiness.

3-Quinta de la Rosa Tinto 2008, Douro, Portugal

Another new discovery for me, what a delightful and very enjoyable wine here. This is the second month in a row that Portugal makes an appearance in my top three monthly wine. There is a reason I am venturing more and more in my local stores, to wines from Portugal. I am finding some fantastic wine and at great value.

No comments:

Post a Comment