Visitors

Thursday, May 31, 2012

My top three enjoyed wines for May 2012



May turned out to be a very good month for my continued wine education, attending the New Zealand Wine Fair here in Ottawa certainly helped understand their wines and climate and was very enjoyable. An interesting list of wines to choose from this month, ten different countries mostly reds with two very good white wines. To narrow my list down to three is always difficult. Which wine left me with the most enjoyment? It could be a wine which offers great value. Four wines which did not make my list but turn out to be quit enjoyable which I would like to mention; two Spanish Rioja, Lealtanza Reserva 2005 and Finca Allende 2006, Best's Western Bin 1 Shiraz 2009 from Australia and finally from my own country of Canada, Poplar Grove Cabernet Franc 2007 from the beautiful Okanagan Valley in British Columbia.


My top three enjoyed wine in May;

1-Mission Hill Compendium 2006, Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/05/mission-hill-compendium-2006-okanagan.html

An easy pick for the number 1 spot. Who knew I would enjoy this wine so much? When I last tasted this wine, 2 1/2 years ago, I found it to be imposing but with fine potential. But time in my cellar changed all that, a big wine with lots of details very seductive and delicious. This is a good example of  what Canada can make, some serious red wine.

2-Two Rivers of Marlborough Convergence Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Marlborough, New Zealand
http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/05/two-rivers-of-marlborough-convergence.html

I don't often purchase Sauvignon Blanc, bordering around the $30.00 price tag, but the reviews were very good and I decided to splurge a little. I am glad I did, this was a very complex, refreshing and truly enjoyable.

3-Fattoria Di Basciano Il Corto 2007, IGT Tuscany, Italy

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/05/fattoria-di-basciano-il-corto-2007-igt.html

This is another wine which benefited from some time in my cellar. From the time of purchase to the day I opened this bottle, 20 months in my cellar sure made this wine very memorable in deed. A beautifully well made complex red blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon.

No comments:

Post a Comment