Visitors

Monday, August 6, 2012

Easton Zindandel 2010, Amador County, California, USA



It has been two years since I have seen Easton Amador County Zinfandel, I used to buy this wine in British Columbia (3 or 4 different vintage). I was quite happy to see this wine at the SAQ in Gatineau, Quebec.

This wine is from 40-60 old vines, planted on volcanic soil in the Sierra Foothills, maturation taking place in French oak for 10 months with alcohol coming in at 14.5%. 

This wine opens up with aromas of blackberry, black cherry/plum fruit, smoky, spicy and floral notes. On the mouthfeel, medium-full bodied, with flavours of dark fruit, cedar, mocha, cinnamon, clove and white pepper spices, balance acidity and fine grained tannins. Very good depth of flavours on the creamy and elegant finish. 

For people who have not experienced Zinfandel in the past, this wine would be a good introduction to Zin. It may not be as big, rich and jammy as most, but for me, it works. In general, I prefer a more elegant, food friendly, less alcoholic (under 15%) style of Zin. This is a great all around Zin for summer entertaining and for the BBQ. For me, Easton Zindandel 2010, Amador County may not be as rich as previous vintage, but I find it to be very enjoyable, score 89 points.

Purchased June 30, 2012 at the SAQ (897132) AT $20.65

No comments:

Post a Comment