Visitors

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My top three enjoyed wines in July 2012



When I look at the list of wines reviewed this month, a few things comes to mind. On the plus side, aromatics, the wines which left me with the best impression, were the wines with complex and sensuous aromatics. I often use this expression; you can’t score a run in baseball if you don’t get to first base. Well, the aromatics are first base for me. I find this element of winemaking very important, you get the aromatics right, you have me hooked. Now on the negative side, I still see a great deal of overly oaked wines. I would really like to see the oak toned down, which would make for fresher wines. This month four wines really stood out for me, apart from the top three, Paul Clover Chardonnay 2010 from South Africa left a very good impression on me. What a well made and enjoyable Chardonnay, first experienced with Paul Clover wines, not the last one, I am sure.


My top three enjoyed wine in July;


1-Wakefield St. Andrews Shiraz 2004, Clare Valley, Australia

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/07/wakefield-st-andrews-shiraz-2004-clare.html


I wish more Australian wineries would hold onto their wines until they are drinking at their best. This premium wine from Wakefield is absolutely stunning, what a treat.   

2-Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett 2008, Mosel,
Germany

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/07/reichsgraf-von-kesselstatt-ockfener.html

What a well made and delicious wine for such a low price, a fantastic value. Riesling still seems to be a hard sell, I don’t understand why. On the plus side, it keeps the price down for lovers of Riesling like me.


3-Hester Creek The Judge 2008, Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2012/07/hester-creek-judge-2008-okanagan-valley.html


Another winner from Canada’s Okanagan Valley, and for this sommelier, the food pairing possibilities are endless. This is one of those well balanced wines which make your dish better and the dish should make the wine better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment