Monday, January 21, 2013

Don Jacobo Reserva 2004, DOCa Rioja, Spain

This wine is a blend of 90% Tempranillo and the remaining 10% a combination of Grenache and Mazuelo with 14 months ageing in casks, bottled in September 2008 and alcohol coming in at 13.5%.

Light ruby in color, this Rioja opened up with a very maturing bouquet of wild strawberry, sour cherry, plum preserve, cedar, gentle wood spices and vanilla notes. On the mouthfeel, medium bodied with a silky textured, fresh acidity and fine dusty tannins. Medium length on the finish with flavours of sweet and sour fruit, cedar, exotic spices and a underlying earthiness lingering. Where else other than Spain can you find an 8 year old mature wine, ready to enjoy for $17.95? I am a fan of a more traditional style of Rioja just like this one. Perfect pairing? How about a cheese platter with charcuterie, dried fruit and nuts? Strongly recommended, score 89 points.

Purchased January 19, 2013 LCBO Vintages New Release (313270) at $17.95

No comments:

Post a Comment