Visitors

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chateau les Ormes de Pez 1999, Saint-Estèphe, Bordeaux, France




Here is one cork that will not find it's way into my cork collection. Once removed from the bottle, it was slightly damp and broken in two. Of course, what is more important is the wine, right?  So how was this 11 year old wine?  On the nose not a whole lot of fruit, due to the age, more like vanilla, sweet spices, damp earth and earthy funk (yes like the farm). On the palate, medium body, silky smooth tannins, just enough to give this wine some structure, balanced acidity, cedar and mineral flavours on the mouthfeel. The finish is medium length with minerals and earthy funk; which I actually enjoy, as long as it’s not over the top. An enjoyable wine, but I must admit I was expecting a little more. I think it may have had a little more structure and flavour 2 or 3 years ago. It was not quite over the hill, but if you have one of these in your cellar, I say it's time to drink up. This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot.

This wine was purchased this summer in Ajaccio on the Island of Corsica in France for 40 euros.

No comments:

Post a Comment