Hello to all my wine friends,
This is a pretty exciting New Release (NR), keeping myself on budget is going to be a challenge. The main feature of this NR is labelled “Tuscan Triumphs” and indeed it is, a triumph, especially if you love Brunello’s (more on Tuscany latter). The selection from France (both Bordeaux and the Rhône Valley) is also pretty outstanding. The second feature segment in this NR is “Kosher wines for Passover”, these offering left me unimpressed so I decided to pass on the passover feature instead and provide you with interesting white wines from this NR as my second featured story. Now apart from the wines featured in the following two highlighted segments, here are a few wines I would like to bring to your attention.
For the white wines;
· What Ontario does best are Riesling and Chardonnay and here is one of each for you consideration; Fielding Estate Riesling 2011 (251439) at $18.95 and Konzelmann 4 Generations Barrel Fermented Chardonnay 2009 (148460) at $30.00.
· Another Chenin Blanc from South Africa is been release this weekend, Spice Route Chenin Blanc 2011 (174623) at $16.95.
Now for the red wines;
· People looking for wines from the very good 2009 vintage in Bordeaux, here are two of them to consider; Château De Pez 2009 (202697) at $58.95 and Château Teyssier 2009 (226035) at $23.95.
· Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz grapes which don’t make it Penfold flagship red Grange goes into the making of Penfold Bin 389 Cabernet/Shiraz 2009 (309625) at $44.95.
· Here are my three picks from the Rhône Valley; Delas Frères Les Launes Crozes-Hermitage 2010 (701359) at $20.95, Domaine Saint-Pierre Vacqueyras 2009 (130013) at $24.95 and Domaine de Fontavin Terre D’Ancêtres Châteauneuf-Du-Pape 2010 (309427) at $37.95.
· An unusual and interesting blend out of Piedmont (Nebbiolo, Barbera and Cabernet Sauvignon), Tenuta Rocca Ornati Langhe 2006 from Italy (309369) at $21.95 and finally,
· There is usually great value coming from either Argentina or Chile in each NR, this week my pick is Trapiche Fincas Las Palmas Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 from Argentina (143206) at $16.95.
Now let’s get started;
Tuscan Treasures; If like me you are a fan of Sangiovese and wines from Tuscany, there is quite an abundance of riches in this NR. All of 13 red wines releases in this feature section are Sangiovese base wines. Here are four of those wines which I would like to feature;
· Giacomo Mori Chianti 2009 from Italy (068858) at $17.95 – If you enjoy a more traditional style of Chianti, this wine is produce from a family owned estate, established in 1790. A blend of 95% Sangiovese and 5% Canaiolo, maturation in Slovonian and French (Allier) oak for 10-12 months and alcohol coming in at 13.5%.
· Antinori Badia A Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva 2007 (384552) at $44.95 – A Chianti Classico Riserva at a Brunello price, but don’t worry, this is a wine with superb concentration and power, 100% Sangiovese with 14 months maturation in oak and alcohol comes in at 13.5%.
· Poliziano Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2009 (988055) at $25.95 – This wine is a blend of 85% Prugnolo Gentile (local clone of Sangiovese) with the remaining 15% a blend of Colorino, Canaiolo and Merlot with alcohol coming in at 14.5%. After opening this wine, you will which that you had purchased more than one bottle. Do you get my message?
· Caparzo Brunello Di Montalcino 2007 (579094) at $41.95 – All four Brunello’s in this NR are recommended, and as per the appellation, they are 100% Sangiovese. That being said, I am looking for a Brunello which I can enjoy now. Of these four Brunello’s my pick is the more elegant and feminine style of wine from Caparzo. Their 2006 Brunello was absolutely superb.
When dining call for a white wine; I know that most of the wines I reviewed on my blog are red wines, but I do enjoy white wines and on occasion, the best pairing is a white wine. After studying the wines available in this NR, a number of white wines stood out for me has interesting and left me to think of possible pairing. Now here are four interesting food friendly whites;
· Teruzzi & Puthod Vernaccia Di San Gimignano 2011 from Italy (316976) at $15.95 – Listed as extra-dry, this wine is made with 100% Vernaccia grapes and only grown in the beautiful municipality of San Gimignano, maturation taking place in stainless steel tank and alcohol coming in at 12.5%. Food matching possibilities; aperitif, antipasto plater with dry cheese, white fish, seafood and sushi.
· Momo Sauvignon Blanc 2011 from New Zealand (009167) at $17.95– Listed as dry, this wine is made with 100% Sauvignon Blanc grapes, maturation taking place in stainless steel tank and alcohol coming in at 13.5%. The Sauvignon Blanc grape would fall under the category of refreshing white with crisp acidity, food matching possibilities of; goat cheese salad, seafood, chicken salad, or roast chicken.
· Salomon-Undhof Wieden & Berg Tradition Grüner Veltliner 2011 from Austria (670513) at $19.95 – Listed as dry, Grüner Veltliner is the most planted grapes in Austria with flavour profile of citrus fruit, white pepper with mineral notes and crisp acidity. Suggested pairing of sushi, spicy Asian, Indian or Thai food.
· Château Roquefort Blanc 2011 from France (313346) at $14.95 – Here is an excellent value Bordeaux White, a blend of 85% Sauvignon Blanc and 15% Sémillon with alcohol coming in at 13%. The addition of Sémillon would had a honey flavours to the wine and lower its acidity. Suggestive pairing; aperitifs, seafood and fish.
My top three wines from this release;
1- Château De Pez 2009 from France (202697) at $58.95
2- Antinori Badia A Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva 2007 from Italy (384552) at $44.95
3- Ayala Majeur Brut Champagne from France (004143) at $48.95
My top three wines for value;
1- Trapiche Fincas Las Palmas Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 from Argentina (143206) at $16.95
2- Giacomo Mori Chianti 2009 from Italy (068858) at $17.95
3- Teruzzi & Puthod Vernaccia Di San Gimignano 2011 from Italy (316976) at $15.95
My wine picks from this New Release for your considerations;
1- Giacomo Mori Chianti 2009 from Italy (068858) at $17.95
2- Castello Di Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva 2008 from Italy (650754) at $27.95
3- Antinori Badia A Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva 2007 from Italy (384552) at $44.95
4- Poliziano Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2009 from Italy (988055) at $25.95
5- Caparzo Brunello Di Montalcino 2007 from Italy (579094) at $41.95
6- Altesino Brunello Di Montalcino 2007 from Italy (994095) at $57.95
7- Mocali Vigna Delle Raunate Brunello Di Montalcino 2007 from Italy (162552) at $46.95
8- Terre Nere Brunello Di Montalcino 2006 from Italy (208462) at $34.95
9-Rosewood Estate Merlot 2010 from Ontario (211896) at $22.00
10-Duckhorn Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 from California (024190) at $74.95
11-Trapiche Fincas Las Palmas Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 from Argentina (143206) at $16.95
12-Majella Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 from Australia (301531) at $36.95
13-Penfold Bin 389 Cabernet/Shiraz 2009 from Australia (309625) at $44.95
14-Penmara Reserve Shiraz 2009 from Australia (912782) at $17.95
15-Schild Shiraz 2009 from Australia (066555) at $28.95
16-Château De Pez 2009 from France (202697) at $58.95
17-Château Teyssier 2009 from France (226035) at $23.95
18-Delas Frères Les Launes Crozes-Hermitage 2010 (701359) at $20.95
19-Domaine de Fontavin Terre D’Ancêtres Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2010 (309427) at $37.95
20-Domaine Saint-Pierre Vacqueyras 2009 (130013) at $24.95
21-Tenuta Rocca Ornati Langhe 2006 from Italy (309369) at $21.95
1- Teruzzi & Puthod Vernaccia Di San Gimignano 2011 from Italy (316976) at $15.95
2- Fielding Estate Riesling 2011 from Ontario (251439) at $18.95
3- Zonzelmann 4 Generations Barrel Fermented Chardonnay 2009 from Ontario (148460) at $30.00
4- Riverview Cellars Gewurztraminer 2011 from Ontario (319830) at $18.95
5- Momo Sauvignon Blanc 2011 from New Zealand (009167) at $17.95
6- Spice Route Chenin Blanc from South Africa (174623) at $16.95
7- Salomon-Undhof Wieden & Berg Tradition Grüner Veltliner 2011 from Austria (670513) at $19.95
8- Château Roquefort Blanc 2011 from France (313346) at $14.95
9- Clos Floridène Blanc 2009 from France (189357) at $31.85
10-Zenato Lugana San Benedetto 2011 from Italy (707158) at $14.95
1-Ayala Majeur Brut Champagne from France (004143) at $48.95
That is all for me and my team. We will be back for the New Release of March 2, 2013 where the featured segments are; “The new California, an insider’s peek” and The Star of Central and Southern Italy”. It’s interesting because this next newsletter will be coming from Vancouver, British Columbia where I will be attending the trade tasting portion of the Vancouver International Wine Festival where California is the featured “Wine Country” this year. There will be 62 wineries from California alone, look for my blog post in about a week or two, about my experience at this wine show.