Visitors

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My top three enjoyed wines for April 2013




An interesting month for my continued wine education, which included  attending the California Wine Fair here in Ottawa earlier this month. When I look at the 16 wines reviewed this month, again my love affair with Italian wines are on full display, with my top two picks. What never seems to amaze me is the variety of grapes and styles of wine coming out of Italy. I reviewed 4 wines from Italy, from Veneto to Tuscany, and Sicily and they were all very good. Not making my top three list but deserving to be mention here, Jabob's Creek St-Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 from Australia and Quinta De Ventozelo Reserva 2009 from Portugal. 

My top three wines in April


1- Antolini Morópio Amarone Della Valpolicella Classico 2006, Doc Veneto, Italy

I love a new discovery. My first experience with wines from Antolini Morópio, and after this experience certainly not the last. A seriously good wine here, sensuous texture with great flavours and a superb value for Amarone. 


2- Cellole Chianti Classico Riserva 2007, Docg Tuscany, Italy

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2013/04/cellole-chianti-classico-riserva-2007.html

Here is a well made Chianti Classico Riserva tailor made to be enjoyed with a great meal. For me, at all stages of this wine, from the quality of the grapes used to make this wine, to the great work at the winery. Nothing is overdone. A beautiful, authentic Chianti experience, went back to repurchase. 


3- Jackson-Triggs Niagara Estate Grand Reserve Pinot Noir 2010, VQA Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada

http://paulnjoywine.blogspot.ca/2013/04/jackson-triggs-niagara-estate-grand.html

For me, I find it very hard to purchase a Pinot Noir, to many of them try to be what they should not be, a full bodied red. In good hands, like the Jackson-Triggs Niagara Estate, this Pinot Noir hits all the right notes for me, aromatic, great flavours, well balanced and pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment