Visitors

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Elderton Ode to Lorraine 2006, Barossa Valley, South Australia



Elderton is a small family owned winery located in the Barossa Valley. The Elderton vineyard which was planted in 1894 by Samuel Elderton Tolley, was purchased by the Ashmead family in the late 1970's. All this to tell you that that Ode to Lorraine, was created to honour the co-founder Lorraine Ashmead and the 2006 vintage his a blend of 54% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Shiraz and 12% Merlot, maturation took place over a period of 18 months in new French and American oak and alcohol register at 14.5% . The nose is so nice, I could inhale this all day; ripe red fruits, sweet blackberry, cassis and savoury spices. I love the structure of this blend; concentrated fruit flavours, lively acidity and well integrated tannins buried under all that rich ripe fruit. the finish is long with sweet fruit, spicy and velvet texture. This wine truly honours it's co-founder and is a real treat, one which I have previously tasted last summer in Copenhagen, Denmark.  I have enjoyed their 2008 vintage and still have another in my cellar. My only negative comment; Why tame the pink on the label of the 2008 vintage? I like it, it makes the wine stand out from the multitude of wines in our stores. Enough said, I loved it.

This wine was purchased March 30, 2011 at Liberty Wine Merchants in Vancouver, BC at $54.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment