Visitors

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Villa Poggio Salvi Brunello di Montalcino 2001, Tuscany, Italy



Ordering a bottle of wine in any restaurant can be a challenge, huge wine lists can make it even more of a daunting task. What about ordering a bottle in a foreign language?  I had a pretty interesting experience ordering a bottle at a restaurant in Rome, Il Tempio di Minerva, no wine list. The waiter brings a couple bottles to the table of his liking, this drove me to walk around the establishment and look at the bottles spread around the restaurant on different shelves. I picked up three of my favourites and brought them back to the table for further consideration. My preference was a Brunello, the two others were a Chianti Classico and another wine which escapes my quickly fading memory. Now we negotiate, (like buying a car) I ask for prices in Euros for each of the wines.  Our server threw up his arms and left in search of a higher authority, perhaps the manager and returned with a price of 90 Euros for the Brunello, too much and I moved on to the other two. After some back on forth, I settled for the Brunello, but at a reduced price of 60 Euros. After some cooling in bucket of ice and water, it was time for our party of three to enjoy this wine.

A lovely brick red colour with aromas of vanilla, church wood, soft leather, sweet spices. The mouthfeel is so smooth with plumy and strawberry fruit, silky tannins and refreshing acidity. And finally, the finish is medium length, elegant and oh so enjoyable. It is always a great pleasure to experience such a beautiful wine that as aged this well.

No comments:

Post a Comment