Visitors

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Umberto Cesari Liano 2008, Emilia-Romagna, Italy




I have long enjoyed the wines from Umberto Cesari, especially their Cesari Mara, which for many years (about ten years ago) was my house wine. Now Umberto Cesari Liano 2008 came strongly recommended at a wine tasting event I had put together.I promised to review it, so here goes. A wine only available in Québec, I went shopping in La Belle Province and bought a bottle. Liano 2008 is a blend of 70% Sangiovese and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon aged for six months in 50/60hl barrels and one year in French Allier tonneaux. A very appealing nose here, with aromas of wild berry fruit, vanilla, cinnamon, burnt sugar, cedar and smoke. On the palate, medium to full body, alcohol at 13.5% with fresh acidity and persistent tannins. Good length on the finish with rich and concentrated flavours. It would be difficult for me, in a blind tasting, to know that this wine originated in Italy. A very enjoyable wine with a great deal of flavour and sweetness, a lot of oak for sure, and just enough tannins to give it a nice structure. I will definitely buy this again.

This wine was purchased October 23, 2011 at the SAQ for $27.50.

No comments:

Post a Comment