Visitors

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Montes Alpha Merlot 2008, Colchagua Valley, Chile



There seems to be two different styles of Merlot produced; a softer, easy drinking, aromatic and plumy version and the more intense, darker, with plenty of oak and tannins and more age worthy. I personally prefer the softer, easy drinking style much better. Isn’t that what a Merlot is about? I enjoy Merlot with structure of course, but still want balance, with quality fruit shining through and not a Merlot which is a Cabernet wanna be.   

This wine is predominantly Merlot at 90%, with the remaining grape being Carmenère at 10%, maturation took place in French oak for 12 months. I enjoyed this wine, but unfortunately neither the nose or the mouthfeel tells me that this wine is a Merlot. Deep opaque ruby in colour, this wine opens up with aromas black fruit, coffee, tobacco leaf and earthy notes. Full bodied with alcohol coming in at 14.5%, more oak derived flavours than fruit, balance acidity and dusty tannins. Medium-long finish with rich creamy flavours. I have no doubt that quality grapes went into making this wine but unfortunately was buried in oak, stripping off the soft plumy texture of Merlot, better acidity would have also given this wine a little lift. I was expecting much better for wine at $23.30 from Chile. I enjoyed the wine, but if I am looking to drink a Merlot, this one is not for me. Score 86 points.

This wine was purchased December 2, 2011 at the SAQ (564617) for $23.30

No comments:

Post a Comment